What Must I Do for My Pet Before Surgery?
- Hamilton County law requires that all pets over 3 months of age be vaccinated for rabies. Please bring proof of vaccination with you the day of surgery. Proof is either a rabies certificate or a vet record. A rabies tag alone is not proof. If you do not have either a rabies certificate or a vet record, your pet will be given a 1-year rabies vaccine for $10.00.
- Do not give your adult pet ANYTHING to eat after 10 p.m. the night prior to surgery. This includes bones, rawhides, treats, etc. You should continue to give your pet water. Puppies and kittens 6 months of age and younger may eat up until 6:00 a.m. the day of surgery.
- If within the last 30 days your pet has been injuried or had any symptoms of illness, including vomiting, diarrhea or skin issues, or has been on any medications, you must let the staff know when you make the appointment or at check-in. Any pet that has had a seizure of any kind or duration will not be approved for surgery under any circumstances. For the safety of your pet, approval for surgery is at the sole discretion of the veterinarian.
- On the day of surgery, arrive at the clinic at 8:00 a.m. If you arrive after 8:30 a.m., you may be asked to reschedule your appointment.
- You will need to complete a short admission form for each pet having surgery.For everyone’s safety, please leave dogs in the car until the check-in process is complete and the staff tells you to bring your pet in. Cats may be brought into the lobby as long as they are in a secure carrier.
What Happens Following Surgery?
- Your pet will recover at the clinic and, if staying overnight, will be given food and water.
- Dogs must be picked up the day of surgery at 3:00 p.m. on Monday - Thursday and 2:00 p.m. on Fridays. The clinic closes at 3:30 p.m. Monday - Thursday and at 3:00 p.m. on Fridays, so please be sure to get here before closing time.
- Cats remain at the clinic overnight and must be picked the following morning promptly at 7:30 a.m.. If you arrive late, you may have to wait for the 8 a.m. check-in of animals for surgery that day to be completed before you can check-out your cat from the prior day’s surgery.
- A boarding fee of $15 will be charged for any animal not picked up by 9:00 a.m. the morning following surgery.